This is a great salad to make at home because it looks so impressive and tastes delicious, but is so quick and simple to make. Bite-sized chunks of aubergine and chickpeas are roasted in the oven, while you blend together a simple creamy dip using cashews, harissa paste and lime juice. It's then topped with crumbled feta, sliced spring onions and chilli flakes to bring it all together in one stunning dish. For a vegan version, simple leave out the feta or replace it with a vegan alternative.
Serves 4 & takes 35 minutes to cook
For the salad
2 large aubergines, cut into bite-sized chunks
1x 400g can of chickpeas, drained
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
100g feta (optional, see notes above)
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
Pinch of chilli flakes
Salt and pepper
For the harissa cashew dip
2-3 large tablespoons of harissa paste (or less depending on how spicy your harissa paste is, we use Belazu rose harissa paste for the best results)
180ml almond milk
1 garlic clove, peeled
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of salt
1. Place the cashews in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak for at least 10 minutes in order to soften.
2. Preheat the oven to 190C, fan setting.
3. Place the aubergine chunks and drained chickpeas into a large baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, the paprika and a good pinch of salt. Mix well until all of the aubergine chunks are coated in olive oil (if not, add a splash more), and cook for 30 minutes, or until the aubergines turn soft.
4. While the aubergines are cooking, drain the cashews and place into a powerful blender (we use a NutriBullet). Add the rest of the cashew dip ingredients and blend until smooth and creamy.
5. Spoon the creamy harissa dip onto the base of a serving plate and top with the roasted aubergines and chickpeas.
6. Crumble the feta over the top and sprinkle with sliced spring onions. Top with a pinch of chilli flakes and some pepper before serving.