This is Leo’s favourite go-to recipe, he probably makes it consistently every week. It’s a great, easy salad to make as an impressive side dish to any stew or pasta dinner. The creamy, thick dressing coats the salad leaves, with a nice bite coming from the chickpeas and creamy avocado chunks.
Serves 4 as a side & takes 15 minutes to make
For the dressing
200-250ml almond milk
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
The juice of 1 lemon
50g grated parmesan
1 garlic clove, peeled
Pinch of salt
For the salad
1 large bag of chopped kale (about 200g) or chopped lettuce
2 avocados, cut into bite-sized chunks
1x 400g can of chickpeas, drained (or bite-sized chunks of toast)
1. Place the cashews into a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak for at least 10 minutes, or until they soften.
2. After 10 minutes, drain the cashews and place into a powerful blender or food processor (we use a NutriBullet) with the rest of the dressing ingredients. Blend until the mixture comes together to create a smooth, thick dressing - you can add a dash more almond milk if needed until the mixture comes together.
3. Spoon the chopped kale (or lettuce) into a large bowl and pour in the dressing. Mix well until the kale leaves soften a little and everything is coated in the dressing.
4. Add the avocado chunks and drained chickpeas and mix everything together.
5. Spoon the salad onto a large mixing bowl and top with some more parmesan and pepper.