As you might be able to tell, we’re obsessed with serving salads with some kind of dip. It adds another element to the plate, bringing all of the different flavours together so well. This salad is simple, filling and packed full of so many delicious flavours. Blended corn kernels with harissa and lime juice creates a dip-like base which compliments the roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas so well. If you don’t have sweet potatoes, you can use any type of root vegetable you have at home.
Serves 4 & takes 40 minutes to cook
For the roasted sweet potato & chickpeas
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
1x 400g can of chickpeas, drained
2 teaspoons of paprika
1 tablespoon of harissa paste
2 spring onions, sliced
Pinch of chilli flakes
Salt and pepper
For the base
2x 340g cans of sweetcorn
1 teaspoon of harissa paste
Juice of 1 lime
Dash of almond milk
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 190C, fan setting.
2. Place the sweet potato chunks into a large baking tray with the drained chickpeas. Drizzle with olive oil, 2 teaspoons of paprika and a really good pinch of salt. Mix well until everything is coated in the spices before cooking for 35 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes feel soft.
3. While the sweet potatoes cook, put all of the base ingredients into a powerful blender (we use a NutriBullet) and blend until all the mixture forms a thick paste, adding a dash more almond milk if needed to blend the mix. Once the mixture has come together, taste and season before spooning onto the bottom of a serving plate.
4. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven and stir through 1 tablespoon of harissa paste.
5. Spoon the roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas on top of the blended sweetcorn base, before sprinkling with sliced spring onions, chilli flakes and a pinch of pepper.