This stew has all of the right ingredients to make the perfect warming dinner on a cold winter evening. The crispy new potatoes and kale add a satisfying crunch to the rich, spiced tomato base, with the black beans creating a wholesome earthy element to the dish. We love to serve this with a simple side salad and a dip. If you don't have new potatoes, you can add any roasted veg in their place - aubergine, sweet potatoes or cauliflower all work great too.
Serves 4 & takes 35 minutes to cook
750g baby potatoes (or new potatoes), halved
1 large pack of kale, roughly chopped
1 onion, peeled and diced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
2 teaspoons of sweet paprika
1x 400g can of black beans, drained
1x 400g can of tinned tomatoes
1 tablespoon of harissa paste (or more depending on how spicy you want it)
2 tablespoons of thick balsamic vinegar
Pinch of chilli flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 220C, fan setting.
2. Place the halved potatoes into a large baking tray and drizzle with olive oil and a good pinch of salt. Mix well and cook for 30 minutes, adding the chopped kale in the last 5 minutes in order to turn crispy. Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to one side until needed.
3. Place a large pan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once warm, add the chopped onion, garlic and a pinch of salt. Mix well and cook for 5-10 minutes until the onions become soft.
4. At this point, add the paprika and drained black beans. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes to allow the black beans to cook in the garlic and spices.
5. Add the tinned tomatoes, harissa paste and balsamic vinegar. Leave to simmer for 10 more minutes to allow the flavours to come together.
6. After 10 minutes, stir through the crispy kale and potatoes, adding a dash of water if needed to bring the stew together and create the consistency you like best.
7. Serve with a pinch of chilli flakes sprinkled on top and some salad and dip on the side.