Who doesn't love peanut satay? This curry is packed full the best bits of peanut satay, blended together with creamy coconut milk, lime juice, with roasted aubergine and mushrooms mixed through to make it satisfyingly delicious. We love to enjoy this on a weekday evening and it's quick to pull together, along with some flatbread and spicy chutney.
Serves 2-4 & takes 35 minutes to cook
2 aubergines, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 red onion, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
200g mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon of curry powder (or 1 teaspoon of cumin, coriander & cinnamon)
1x 400g can of coconut milk
2 heaped tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon of tamari (or soy sauce)
2 teaspoons of golden caster sugar (or maple/honey)
Handful of roasted peanuts
Dollop of natural yoghurt (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, fan setting.
2. Cut the aubergines into bite-sized chunks and place onto a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt, mix well and cook for 30 minutes until soft.
3. While the aubergines cook, place a pan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once warm, add the chopped onion, garlic and a pinch of salt. Mix well and cook for 5-10 minutes until soft.
4. Once the onion feels soft, add the sliced mushrooms and curry powder. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes until the mushrooms start to become soft.
5. Add the coconut milk, peanut butter, lime juice, tamari and sugar. Mix well and leave the whole thing to cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the aubergines finish cooking.
6. Once the aubergines finish cooking, mix them through the curry and serve with a sprinkle of roasted peanuts and some fresh yoghurt stirred through.