The ultimate dinner for 2, this is a real favourite that covers the main part of the dish, side salad and dip for the base. Despite its impressive looks, this recipe is easy and so quick to make - simply blend the creamy harissa base, roast the cauliflower in the oven and put the pearl barley salad on to cook while the cauliflower is in the oven.
Serves 2 & takes 30 minutes to cook
For the harissa dip
2-3 large tablespoons of harissa paste (or less depending on how spicy your harissa paste is, we use Belazu rose harissa paste for the best results)
180ml almond milk
1 small garlic clove, peeled
Juice of 1 lime
Pinch of salt
For the cauliflower
For the pearl barley
1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
2 red peppers, middle removed and cut into small pieces
100g pearl barley
1 veggie stock pot, mixed with 300ml boiling water
Large handful of pine nuts
Large handful of coriander, finely chopped
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, fan setting.
2. Cut the cauliflower into 2 steaks and place onto a baking tray. Roughly chop the rest of the cauliflower pieces and place onto the baking tray. Drizzle all of the cauliflower pieces with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Mix well until all of the cauliflower is coating in oil, before roasting for 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower feels cooked through and is slightly charred on the outside.
3. While the cauliflower is roasting, place a large pan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once warm, add the sliced onion, garlic and a pinch of salt. Mix well and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the onion turns soft.
4. At this point, add the diced red peppers. Mix well and cook for another 5 minutes before adding the pearl barley and pouring in the hot vegetable stock. Leave to cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the pearl barley turns soft and absorbs all of the water - you can add a dash more if needed.
5. While the pearl barley is simmering, make the harissa base by placing all of the ingredients into a powerful food processor (we use a NutriBullet) and blending until it all comes together.
6. Once ready to serve, stir the pine nuts and chopped coriander through the pearl barley.
7. Spoon some of the harissa dip onto each plate and using the back of a spoon, spread each out to look like a flick. Place one of the cauliflowers on top of the bigger part of the flick. Before spooning some of the pearl barley salad on the empty part of the plate.