Did someone say sweetcorn Macaroni & Cheese? Yes, that's right. This is a delicious and simple take on the traditional dish, as well as a great way to pack more vegetables into your dinner. We love to sprinkle breadcrumbs on the top and bake at the end for a crunchy top but that's completely optional, if you decide not to just make sure the sauce is hot and the pasta is cooked when you're serving it up. Hope you enjoy this as much as we do.
Serves 4-6 & takes 35 minutes to cook
1x 340g can of sweetcorn, drained
1 garlic clove, peeled
2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
150ml almond milk
150g strong cheddar cheese (grated)
Juice of 1 lemon
400g macaroni pasta
Pinch of salt
For the topping (optional)
2 slices of bread
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, grill setting.
2. Place the contents of one can of sweetcorn, 1 garlic clove, the mustard, the juice of 1 lemon, the almond milk and a pinch of salt into a powerful blender (we use a NutriBullet) and blend until smooth, you can add a dash more of almond milk if the mixture needs it.
3. Cook the macaroni pasta according to the instructions on the pack. Once the pasta has cooked, drain - reserving 1 mug of the pasta water to mix through the sauce.
4. While the pasta cooks, place a large pan over a medium heat and pour in the blended sweetcorn mixture and add the grated cheddar cheese.
5. Mix well and cook for 5-10 minute until the cheese has melted and the sauce comes together, adding a dash of the pasta water bit-by-bit as needed until you have a smooth, silky sauce.
6. Make the topping by blending the bread into crumbs (or crumbling with your hands).
7. Place the drained pasta into a deep ovenproof dish and pour over the sweetcorn sauce. Mix well until all of the pasta is coated in the sauce.
9. Sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and cook for 3-6 minutes until the top turns golden.