We really mean it when we say it - this is the ultimate veggie croque madame recipe. It's packed full of veggies; from the creamy cashew sauce, all the way to the fermented kimchi. The combination of flavours from the mustardy sauce, spicy kimchi, crunchy sourdough and gooey fried egg go together so perfectly that we're close to believing this is better than the original.
Serves 2 & takes 35 minutes to cook
For the eggs
2 organic eggs
4 slices of bread
100g Gruyère, cut into 2 thick slices
Salt and pepper
For the sauce
250ml almond milk
2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
100g Gruyère, grated
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, grill setting.
2. Place the cashews into a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak for at least 10 minutes.
3. After 10 minutes, drain the cashews and place into a powerful blender (we use a NutriBullet), along with the almond milk, mustard, lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Blend until the mixture comes together to form a smooth sauce - you can add a dash more almond milk if needed to make the mixture come together.
4. Pour the sauce into a small pan over a low heat and add the grated Gruyère cheese. Warm the sauce through and allow the cheese to melt while you make the rest of the recipe - adding a dash of almond milk when needed so the mixture doesn’t become too thick and stick to the pan.
5. Place a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the eggs to your liking.
6. While the eggs cook, put the bread on to toast. Once toasted, place 2 pieces of toast on a baking tray and top with the slices of Gruyère cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
7. Once the cheese has melted, remove from the oven and spoon half of the kimchi onto each slice.
8. Sandwich with another slice of toast and spoon over the cheesy sauce. Top each with a fried egg and a crack of pepper.