Creamy, seasonal and so wholesome, this is the perfect recipe to make any night of the week. The hint of mustard cuts through the creamy sauce to give it a subtle but explosive flavour that compliments the asparagus. We love to mix through pasta water to make the sauce extra creamy and ensure it coats all of the pasta perfectly.
Serves 2 & takes 25 minutes to cook
2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
250g asparagus, sliced
180ml double cream
50g grated veggie-style parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
Squeeze of lemon juice
2 portions of tagliatelle
Pinch of salt
1. Place a large pan over a medium heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Once warm, add the sliced onion, garlic and a pinch of salt. Mix well and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until the onions turn soft and golden.
2. At this point, mix through the asparagus and cook for another 5-10 minutes until soft.
3. Pour in the cream and add the grated parmesan, wholegrain mustard and lemon juice. Reduce the temperature and leave the sauce to simmer while your pasta cooks.
4. Put the pasta on to cook in salted boiling water and cook for 1 less minute than it states on the pack.
5. Once cooked, drain the water (saving about a cup full) and stir the pasta through the sauce. Add a splash of the pasta water, bit-by-bit until you have the perfect consistency that coats the pasta and cook for another minute or so until everything is heated through.
6. Serve in bowls with some grated parmesan and black pepper on top.